tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 23 10:39:31 1998

Re: KLBC:Re: tlhutlh

According to Engelbert:

> > On Sat, 21 Feb 1998 14:24:38 -0800 (PST) Engelbert
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > > A few days ago, I went out for a drink with a friend of mine. The thing
> > > ended up with a hangover the next day, so I decided: "Too much drinking
> > > isnt good for me." I tried to translate this idea in Klingon...

jang charghwI':
> > Another way you might cast this is to say something like, "When
> > I have been very drunk and I have a headache, I do not enjoy the
> > situation, thus, I do not want to be drunk." It might be easier
> > to think of that last phrase as, "I do not want that I become
> > drunk." It's a bit of a challenge, but this long sentence is
> > made of simple parts. It would be a good exercise for you.
>
> I think I got the point.
> Considering that there is a word for "hangover" (as ghunchu'wI' pointed
> out), I came to:
> jIcheghpu'DI' jI'uHchoH. ghu' vItIvbe' vaj jIchechchoH vIneHbe'.

You wanted {chech}, not {chegh}. It makes a difference.
Otherwise, this looks fine. Most typically, we'd say {ghu'vam}
instead of just {ghu'}, but that is a small stylistic thing.

> I feel like shortening this to:
> jI'uH vItIvbe' vaj jIcheghchoH vIneHbe'.

You need the pronoun {'e'} between those first two verbs. {tIv}
does not enjoy the same grammatical privaledge as {neH}.

You might also consider:

jI'uH vIneHbe'mo' jIcheghchoH vIneHbe'.

<Xmo' Y> pretty much says the same thing as <X vaj Y>. The use
of {vaj} instead of {-mo'} just seems somewhat proclammatory
and maybe even a bit pretensive, but that's just a stylistic
thing. The example we have {nuHlIj DawIvta' vaj yISuv!} is the
sort of thing one says with one's chest puffed out and one's
ego fully fueled by testosterone. That is not the same kind of
mood you likely intend to convey in your statement. I suspect
that {-mo'} better suits your needs here. Explanation vs.
proclammation.

> I'd like to know if these sentences are correct.

I hope this helps.

> --QomwI'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level