tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 18 20:56:27 1998

Re: Doubts in some words

I really don't advise anyone to make these kinds of declarations
about the finer sense of the meanings of Klingon words without
any canon citations whatsoever to back them up. You are giving
your opinions here. Please state clearly that you have nothing
beyond that in terms of authority.

[Yeah, I know that's hard for some people to hear, coming from
me.]

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998 20:08:40 -0800 (PST) TPO
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >'oy' - be sore /// rIQ - be injured
> If I hit you, you ['oy'].  If I break your arm, you are [rIQ] (and probably
> 'oy' also)
>
> >jum - be odd /// Huj - be strange
> odd: weird, bizarre, goofy
> strange: unknown, unfamiliar

You have exactly as much reason to assume [strange: unknown,
unfamiliar] as you would have to assume [odd: not evenly
divisible by two]. Strange also means "weird", just like odd
also means "not even". Most likely, {jum} does not mean "not
divisible by two" simply because we don't have a verb to mean
"be even". Meanwhile, we have no reason to restrict {Huj} to
your definition here.

On the other hand, some of your definitions were rather
enjoyable. I especially liked:

> >Hab - be smooth /// tun - be soft
> the top of a table is smooth but not soft.
> a sponge is soft but not smooth
>

> DloraH
> www2.rpa.net/~cheesbro
> pa' tlhIngan yanmey tu'lu'