tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 15 17:44:34 1998

Re: KLBC: "to be"

jIja'pu':
>2) The Klingon Dictionary section 6.3 explains that there is no verb
>   meaning "to be" in the Klingon language.
>
>3) TKD 6.3 goes on to explain how pronouns can be used in the sense of
>   "to be" in a couple of limited contexts.  One of these is the sort
>   of "I am a fool" idea that prompted Albert Arendsen's question.

ja' Chakotay:
>well, thanks... didn't help me anything further tho ;-)

I intentionally didn't give a complete answer, because it was apparent
that you hadn't carefully read the section I referred to.  *You* have
to do some work in order to learn, too. :-)

>actually I like Klingon very much because it is so limited and the trick is
>to find alternatives...

Klingon's "limitations" are mostly in the area of vocabulary.  I have yet to
encounter an idea that can't be expressed using Klingon grammar -- with the
notable exception of "I think, therefore I am." :-)

>but I have not found an alternative yet for some of
>the more complex sentences where the verb "to be" plays a central role...

The standard "alternative" to a complex sentence is, of course, a series
of simple sentences.  If you'll provide an example of one of your "to be"
sentences, I'll give you my suggestions for how the "to be"-ness can be
toned down and how the idea underlying the sentence can be brought out.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level