tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 15 10:01:04 1998

Re: introduction

From: Marian Schwartz <[email protected]>

>ghItlh charghwI'
>>Again, you need to find a way to notate these two different
>>sounds as they occur. Otherwise, it is as if we were discussing
>>color and I told you that in my country, the word for "white"
>>is "black" so we pronounce "black, white, black" as "black,
>>black, black" and it is YOUR job to figure out which color I'm
>>talking about when I say, "black".
>
>jatlhpu' Lewis Carrol:
>>... I maintain that any writer of a book is fully authorised in attaching
>>any meaning he likes to any word or phrase he intends to use.  If I
>>find an author saying, at the beginning of his book, "Let it be under-
>>stood that by the word 'black' I shall always mean 'white' and that
>>by the word 'white' I shall mean 'black'," I meekly accept his ruling,
>>no matter how injudicious I think it.

And if you're writing a book, I'll certainly take this into account.  But if
you're talking about language or trying to communicate clearly, replacing
established meanings with your own and without clear explanation is going to
cause a lot of trouble.

SuStel
Stardate 98126.4

Back to archive top level