tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 14 12:56:34 1998

Re: introduction

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:28:52 -0800 (PST) Doneq
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ghItlh William H. Martin
>
> [pe']
>
> > This is why I challenge your statement that "no English
> > speaking person will be able to notice the difference between
> > the Dutch words {keuken} and {kuiken}, but percieve both as
> > {koiken} (in Dutch phonetic)." Likely this is true for the vast
> > majority of English speakers, but also likely I would be able
> > to perceive and repeat the difference, though I am an English
> > speaker.
>
> Then, what is your problem with my "r" being pronounced in the back
> of my mouth, instead of in front with the tip of my tongue?

Now, you are contradicting yourself. A Klingon "r" is pronounced
with the tip of the tongue, not the base of the tongue. If I have
good skill at being able to distinguish between different sounds
(good enough to hear what you describe as a subtle difference
between two Dutch words), likely I could differentiate between a
properly pronounced Klingon {r} formed with the tip of the
tongue and an improperly formed Klingon {r} made with the back
of the mouth.

> In a previous post (which I unfornunately have deleated already), you
> said you wouldn't be able to understand me if I did so, that you
> wouldn't be able to distinguish between my Klingon "r" and Klingon
> "gh". And now you are contradicting yourself?

I said that regardless of what sound you mean by "r" if you
pronounce {ghargh} as "grargr", it would be wrong because there
is no sound "r" such that it participates in both the Klingon
{r} and the Klingon {gh}. The only way "grargr" could be the
same as {ghargh} is if the two "r" characters you use are
pronounced differently, and if they ARE pronounced differently,
then it is a mistake, in this context, to represent both of
these different sounds with the same symbol.

> /Doneq
> ______
> HIq DaSammeH tach yI'el

charghwI'