tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 12 22:37:55 1998

Re: {'evnagh} (was Re: KLBC: logh veQ)

ja' charghwI':
>pe'vIl maQoch. bImujbej. "space-time" DellaHbe' Quv. 'ay'Hom
>machqu' 'oH Quv. poH qelbe'.

logh poH je Del "space-time" Quv.  wanI' ngu'chu'.
cha'maH wa' vatlh rep nImbuS wejDaq megh vISop.
ghorgh qaS?  nuqDaq qaS?  jang "space-time" Quv.

>*Relativity* Dayajbe'bej. potlhqu' Do.

ghobe'.  "Einsteinian Special Relativity" vIyajchu'.  ram Do.
*is relative*bej Do.  vIHlaH bejwI'.  vIHbe'laH bejwI'.
chungbe'chugh bejwI',  vIHbe' 'e' wuqlaH.  potlhbe'qu' Do.

> Doch poH choHbej Doch
>Do. potlhchugh Do vaj potlhba' vIHtaHghach. Quv juv 'Iv? chay'
>vIH juvwI'? *space-time* Quv pIm tu' juvwI' pIm. wanI' veH
>DayajnIS.

"event horizon" 'oSlaw' <wanI' veH>.  qechvamvaD luj mu'vam.
wanI' veHqoq ghaj luSpet.  "light cone" ghaj wanI'.

>Qochbe'meH Quvvammey Do qelnISlu'. reH vIHtaH Hoch.

Quv'e' juvbogh wa' SImmeH latlh, Do qelnIS.  juvmeH neH, ram Do.

>> ...As soon as you start talking about
>> motion, you have separated space and time.
>
>No. Motion is what connects space and time. Using the speed of
>light as an arbitrary constant, you can measure distance in
>terms of time and you can measure time in terms of distance.

potlh 'otlh Do.  potlh nuDlu'DI', Do nIb lujuv Hoch bejwI'pu'.
le'qu' 'otlh.  reH wa' Do ghaj.  choHbe'chu'mo' Dovam, taQlaw'
logh poH je.

The speed of light is not an "arbitrary constant".  It is a *physical*
constant, measured to be the same by all non-accelerating observers.
It is the constancy of the velocity of light that yields all of the
nonintuitive features of time and space when dealing with velocities
of other objects approaching that of light.

>Without motion, you cannot connect the math that measures
>location with the math that measures duration.

'otlh yIqel.  'otlhvaD, vIH pagh'e'.  choHbe'taH 'otlh 'u'.

>For simplicity and because it is functionally acceptable for us
>here on Earth with no vast distances or high rates of motion,
>we pretend that there are absolute measures of distance and
>time. In truth, we measure the interval between two times and
>the interval between two locations and our motion relative to
>each other is small enough for us to agree on measurements.

chuq poH je tIwavHa'.  cha' wanI' tIbej.  "spacetime interval" rap
lujuv Hoch bejwI'pu'.  vIHlu' 'e' yIbuSHa'.  mISmoH neH Do.

Combine the two.  Measure the distance between two events and the
time between them, and treat the values as coordinates in a four-
dimensional reality.  The length of the 4-vector is an "interval"
which *everyone* agrees on.  Ignore motion.  Motion serves only to
confuse the issue.

>When we enter the realm of cosmic distance and speed near or
>exceeding light, it becomes impossible to measure time or
>distance without adjusting for velocity relative to common
>landmarks among those wishing to agree upon coordinates.

In order to transform between the coordinate systems of two observers
one must account for both the distance between them and their relative
motion.  But until you want to consider what the events you're watching
look like from someone else's point of view, velocity is irrelevant.

>Space-Time is motion. It simply is. We like to break these
>things down into space and time because standing here on Earth,
>our relative motion is so small between observers and the
>obeserved that it is easier to measure distance with a ruler
>than with a laser and a clock, but in a larger context,
>everything is in motion (both on the cosmic and infinitessimal
>levels) and the properties of each object's motion (both on the
>cosmic and infinitessimal levels) define most of the properties
>of the object.

Daj ngerlIj.  jum, 'ach Daj.

>The physical properties of water are quite different for a
>person wading in it than for a person falling from an airplane
>at 3,000 feet onto water with no chute. Relative motion is
>important. Heat is motion. Life is motion. Being is motion. The
>absence of motion is a human concept with no parallel in nature.

Look at the universe from the point of view of a photon.  There is
no motion in a photon's universe.  All events the photon encounters
occur simultaneously.  There is no elapsed time on a photon's clock
between its creation and its destruction.  Its existence occupies a
single conceptual instant.

>We can digitalize all our measurements, but the universe will
>remain analog, contiguous and moving.

A quantum physicist would likely disagree with you. :-)  Until we
can "digitize" gravity, we're nearly stalled in our understanding
of the nature of the universe.

Measure the electrical charge of anything -- you'll get an integer
multiple of the charge on a single electron.  No inbetween values.
Measure the potential energy of an electron bound to a nucleus --
it's not a continuous function.  It does not move from one value
to the next, it *jumps*, effectively instantaneously, between one
allowed value and another.

'ach Hol wIbuSHa'choHta'.  "Relativity" vIqel DaH 'e' vImev.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level