tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 12 12:44:59 1998

Re: KLBC: Klingon names

Chakotay wrote:
[Anders Carlson wrote]
>>nuqneH
>>
>>How would you spell the name "Anders" and "Conny" in Klingon?
>>
>>Qapla'
>>
>>Anders Carlsson
>
>Anders = 'anDerS
>Conny = qo'nI
>Carlsson = qarlSen

Um. No.

Chakotay: messages marked with KLBC are to be answered first by the
Beginners' Grammarian.  Me.  The purpose of the KLBC is to keep
newcomers from being confused by incorrect, incomplete or
contradictory information.  Perhaps the fact that I did not mind that
SuStel answered a KLBC before confused YOU. In that case the person
who answered was a previous BG and the person who asked was a long
time list member who knew perfectly well who the BG was.  Do not
answer messages marked KLBC until I have answered them.

Anders: there is no particular way to say any name in Klingon.  For a
discussion of the question of choosing a Klingon name, so the FAQ at:
http://labs.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm#2.1
You can use your name exactly the way it is in Swedish, you can
choose a Klingon word with a meaning you like, you can choose a
pleasing arrangement of Klingon sounds or you can transliterate your
name.  Chakotay has attempted to do this, without having observed
something about Klingon: there are no consonant blends other than
{rgh} {y'} and {w'}.  Thus a Klingon would find the {rS} at the end
of *{'anDerS} as bizarre as English speakers find it to be asked to
pronounce "KN" together at the beginning of a word.  If I were going
to phoneticize your names according to what Klingons could naturally
pronounce, I might say:

>Anders

'anDer or 'anDerIS

>Conny = qo'nI

not unKlingon, but where I live "Conny" is pronounced more like
{qanI}.  You'll have to study the descriptions of the sounds in the
front of TKD to choose the best for you.

>Carlsson = qarlSen

qarIlSen, the "rl" blend would be weird for a Klingon.

There are many possible variations on these.  When I am speaking
Klingon I find it hard to use other sets of sounds at the same time:
like those old printers where you swapped the cartridge to get
different fonts.  If I have to say a non-Klingon name in a Klingon
sentence I just pronounce it in Klingon, however it is spelled.

Back to archive top level