tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 11 05:06:24 1998

Re: equally beautiful

From: [email protected] <[email protected]>

>Recasting is merely a phenomenon we Terrans have to get used to while
speaking
>Klingon.

Recasting is a phenomenon ANYBODY must get used to while speaking ANY OTHER
LANGUAGE (other than, perhaps, the most closely related).  It's not
necessarily because we don't know enough about Klingon (though that is
sometimes the case).  IT IS BECAUSE KLINGON LACKS ANY GRAMMAR TO DO THIS.
This is okay.  It happens in language.  Not just in Klingon.  THAT is what
you have to get used to.

>I want to say that "The water in this bottle is exactly as hot as the
liquor
>in that vat."

tuj qeghvetlh HIq.  rap balvam bIQ.

>What I really want, of course, is a formula.

You ain't gonna get one.  As far as I can see, there isn't one.  There isn't
one that we know about, and there probably isn't one that we don't know
about.  Live with it.

>It is not which
>sentence; it is the construction(s) which express that one noun's quality
is
>just the same as another noun's quality.  Since N+SV+law' N+SV+puS works
only
>for unequal comparisons, I am looking for a comparison structure which
works
>for equal comparison.

I don't believe you're "looking" for anything.  I think you've invented
something, and want to try to convice others that it's right.  You'll keep
going until someone can't come up with anything else, and then you'll decide
that yours is the only way to express the concept.  It just ain't so.
Please don't do this.

There have been numerous answers to this question already, and all of them
provide excellent ways to communicate exactly the information you requested.
If I were talking with another Klingonist and I said, {QeH mughato'vetlh;
vIrur} he or she would know exactly what I meant.

SuStel
Stardate 98113.2

Back to archive top level