tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 10 11:44:36 1998

Re: Question

From: Scott D. Randel <[email protected]>
>How about this: How are the names of letters pronounced?  Do the letters
>even have names?  I suspect there is no canon regarding this, unless
>it's in HolQeD somewhere.

Alas, this is yet another thing which we just don't know.  There have been
lengthy threads about it on this list.

Heck, we don't even know if Klingons use an *alphabet*.  Remember, we learn
to write the *sounds* of Klingon.  {b}, {ch}, {D}, and so forth are
representations of *sounds*, not Klingon writing.  Klingons might write in
phonemes, or syllables, or an alphabet, or pictographs, or entire words may
be symbols, etc., etc., etc.

I would still be interested in seeing someone's speculations on a possible
form of {pIqaD}.  While it would not be official, it would be instructive to
see how the currently known symbols of Klingon might fit into non-alphabetic
systems.  The KLI {pIqaD} mapping is cute, but not satisfying.

SuStel
Stardate 98111.7

Back to archive top level