tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 08 17:23:07 1998

Re: KLBC:QonoS ra'wI' QIv baroS SD98020.5

loQ baroS lughmoHlI' Qov:
>}luHIvpu'lu' *outpost* 'e' wItu'.
>
>Suffix order error.  {-lu'} is V5, {-pu'} is V7.

The word order is also in error.  The outposts are the object of the verb
and should come first.

The translation was "We discovered that the outpost had been attacked."
So there's a prefix error too, as {lu-} says that the object is plural.

(I'd probably use {waw'} or {waw'Hom} for a military outpost, and {mID}
or {mIDHom} for a non-military one.)

Don't worry, Qov, I almost missed the other problems here too.  I think
the misordered suffixes pull so much attention away from the meaning of
the sentence that it's hard to see what's wrong with its syntax.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level