tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 08 12:20:33 1998

Re: introduction

ja' Qermaq :
> ghItlh Doneq:
>
> >For some reason, I always make an "r" in the back of my mouth. I'm
> >not a linguist, but I believe I do it by trilling my... erm... wha't
> >it called... well, you know, that hanging blob at the back of the
> >mouth you always see in cartoons when sombody's yelling.
>
> Uvula.
>
> > I trill that
> >against the back of my tongue, I think. I think this is the wrong "r"
> >pronounciation Chakotay mentioned.
>
> It's like gargling. Is that the growling \rr\ you refer to?
>
> > I have tried once to trill with
> >my tongue to make an "r" sound, but I somehow couldn't. And neither
> >can most people I know (at least they don't). And still it *sounds*
> >like a trilling "r".
>
> I could not trill an \r\ until I began working in a predominantly
> Spanish-speaking environment. It wasn't long until I heard it enough to be
> able to copy it.

My Spanish teacher told the students who couldn't trill the "r", they could learn
it by speaking "d"s very fast. That's at least the way he learnt it. Sounds
difficult. I'm glad I don't have a problem with that.

> >But from this "wrong" "r", it isn't difficult to go to a "gh" at all.
>
> So long as we remember that <gh> doesn't use the uvula. <q> does. <Q> does.
> <H> and <gh> don't. (And <r> doesn't, of course.>
>
> Qermaq

HovqIj

Back to archive top level