tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 05 07:49:36 1998

Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

According to Mark E. Shoulson:

> >Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 00:07:53 -0800 (PST)
> >From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>

Unfortunately, there is a canon example of exactly this kind of
grammatical construction. It's not the {meQtaHbogh qach}
example. It is the "At the edge of unexplored space" Skybox
example. The only available head noun for the relative clause
is the locative which needs to be stripped of its {-Daq} in
order to act as head noun, then have the {-Daq} put back on in
order to exhibit its function in the main clause.

The example stinks, but it perfectly fits this one. There is no
cannon unambiguously supporting your idea of {-Daq} being
postposition for the entire clause. There is one example that
shows this to not be the case. You lose. I lose. So does the
language.

> It is too glib to say "it follows the pattern, this is what Okrand has
> given us."  What he has given us is a sentence, not a pattern or schema.
> The pattern is our own making, and there's more than one choice for it.

Well, the {meQtaHbogh qach...} example fits your description of
being ambiguous. The "At the edge of the unexplored universe"
example does not.

> ~mark

charghwI'

Back to archive top level