tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 04 12:54:30 1998

Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

>Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 00:07:53 -0800 (PST)
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>

Depends on which pattern you see.  You see a pattern of marking a head
noun.  I see a pattern of marking the phrase with a postposition.  The
canon example conforms to both patterns, so both can claim it as an
example.  However, the two patterns view them differently, so the
extrapolation is different.  By my standards, your extrapolation is wrong,
and does NOT follow the canon pattern.  By your standards, the reverse is
true.

It is too glib to say "it follows the pattern, this is what Okrand has
given us."  What he has given us is a sentence, not a pattern or schema.
The pattern is our own making, and there's more than one choice for it.

~mark

Back to archive top level