tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 05 04:23:22 1998

Re: KLBC Poetry

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998 21:51:58 -0800 (PST) Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> mujang charghwI':
> >> But I'm
> >> still not "feeling" that {tujpu'} implies that the being hot has stopped.
> >We disagree, my friend. I see {-pu'} implying a change of
> >state, similar to {-choH}, except that {-choH} implies a change
> >into a state and {-pu'} implies a change out of a state, while
> >{-choHpu'} implies a change out of a state of changing into the
> >state -- which means the state is currently engaged.
>
> {-pu'} isn't a type 3 suffix.  *I* don't get an implication of change
> from the "perfective" idea.  The concepts of "complete" and "stopped"
> overlap in some contexts, but I don't see them as doing so in Klingon
> grammar.
>
> I don't interpret {jIyItpu'} as saying I *stopped* walking, only that
> I *have* walked.

Is the action of walking "complete"? If it is, one would suppose
you have *stopped* walking. Care to explain how the action of
walking can be complete while one continues to walk?

> Whether or not I kept walking isn't indicated.  The
> same thing goes for {jIbItpu'}.  I might or might not still be uneasy
> after having been uneasy.

Again, is the uneasiness complete or not? If it is complete,
then why would you still be uneasy? If you are still uneasy,
perhaps the uneasiness is not yet complete.

> I've assumed the context of present tense,
> but that's of course not necessary.  In fact, I think future tense is
> easier to use to explain my interpretations:  {wa'leS jIyItpu'} "I'll
> have walked tomorrow" does not mean I will have quit walking by then.

Yes it does. Otherwise, you mean, "I'll walk tomorrow." No
perfective.

> {cha'leS jIbItpu'} "Three days from now, I will have been uneasy" has
> no implication -- for me, at least -- of my becoming calm again.

I think your accuracy on the perfective is on par with your
accuracy on the number of days from now the action will be
complete.

jItlhIj. jImev'eghlaHbe'pu'. 'ach DaH jImev'eghlaHba'.
*Otherwise*, jImev'eghlaHbe'taH.

> -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level