tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 02 19:33:16 1998

Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

-----Original Message-----
From: William H. Martin <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Monday, February 02, 1998 2:07 PM
Subject: Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

>> I think it is truly nasty, and hope it is not the case!
>
>You might have said the same thing about {qach tInDaq SoplI'
>HoD} before Okrand decided to do it that way. Your reasoning
>would likely be similar to that you voice here.

Yes, had the construction not been incorporated into the language in its
first incarnation, I probably would have.  But trying to guess my response
to something which we already know the answer to is hardly an argument, and
certainly not very fair.

Besides, {qachDaq tIn} ISN'T hard to understand by any means.  It just
happens to be wrong, but not because it MUST be.  Okrand decreed that {-Daq}
migrates, and so it does.  He might even have been thinking in terms of
postpositions, but there is a good deal of difference between adjectivally
acting verbs and relative clauses.

Until Okrand makes a new decree one way or the other, I see no reason to
alter known rules and examples in favor of HUMAN language patterns.

SuStel
Stardate 98091.5

Back to archive top level