tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 02 10:38:16 1998

Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998 01:08:49 -0800 (PST) David Trimboli
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I agree that {-Daq}, {-vo'}, {-vaD}, and {-mo'} seem much like
> postpositions, but something like {Qe'Daq Qaw'bogh nawlogh SoplI' HoD}
> really isn't particularly difficult to understand, and it follows both the
> known rules and canon.

I disagree about how easy it is to understand and several people
here have remarked about how they were confused by it. As has
been my style, I tend to analyze it a word at a time as it is
presented, showing how the word order and affixes interact to
show us the grammatical function of each word. Klingon's strict
word order helps us to understand spoken Klingon with relative
ease.

Qe'Daq = In the restaurant

Qe'Daq Qawbogh = In the restaurant, he who destroys

Qe'Daq Qawbogh nawlogh = In the restaurant, the squadron which
destroys

Qe'Daq Qaw'bogh nawlogh SoplI' = In the restaurant, he is eating
the squadron which destroys

Qe'Daq Qaw'bogh nawlogh SoplI' HoD = In the restaurant, the
captain is eating the squadron which destroys.

There is no grammatical reason to translate this any other way.
It is only after you take in the meaning and realize that it is
highly unlikely that this meaning is intended that you go back
and try to figure out what this was was supposed to mean. The
{meQtaHbogh qach} example does not give us a reason to
temporarily peel {-Daq} off of {qach} for the relative clause
and then paste it back on again for the main clause.

In the {meQtaHbogh} example, there is no other noun available to
be the head noun except {qach}, so it HAS to be the head noun.
In your example, this is not the case. Let's keep your word
order and suffixes and just change the root words:

Qe'Daq He'bogh chab SoplI' HoD.

Same word order, same suffixes, totally different grammar. Now,
the {Qe'Daq} is not associated with the relative clause at all.
The root words give us context (intransitive relative clause)
which make clear the meaning. Meanwhile, there could easily be
ambiguous choices:

Qe'Daq Suchbogh targh ngeQlI' lupwI'.

Now, which is the correct translation?

1. The jitney is crashing into the targ which visits at the
restaurant. [The event actually occurred miles from the
restaurant, but the targ often visited people at the restaurant
(the people, not the restaurant itself) and was generally
referred to as "that targ that always visited at the
restaurant".]

2. At the restaurant, the jitney is crashing into the targ which
visits. [It was a very social targ. We'll all miss it.]

3. At the restaurant which the targ visits, the jitney is
crashing. [It is not crashing into anything in particular. It
took glancing blows from several street lamps, some pedestrians,
a couple parked cars and a parking meter.]

Now, ambiguity is one thing, but this kind of vagueness is
REALLY unnecessary. If we take on the grammatical conventions
I'd really prefer, this latter example would still have some
ambiguity, but much of it would be narrowed:

Qe''e' Suchbogh targhDaq ngeQlI' lupwI'.

1. The jitney is crashing at the restaurant which the targ
visited.

2. ... Well, there is no other way to interpret this. There is
only one meaning.

Qe' Suchbogh targhDaq ngeQlI' lupwI'.

1. The jitney is crashing at the targh which visits the
restaurant. [It doesn't actually hit the targ. It just crashes
very near the targ.]

Qe'Daq Suchbogh targh ngeQlI' lupwI'.

1. The jitney crashes into the targ who visits at the
restaurant. [This is exactly as ambiguous in English as it is in
Klingon. We can't tell whether the crash occured at the
restaurant, or if it is the visiting that occurs at the
restaurant.]

Qe''e' Suchbogh targh ngeQlI' lupwI'.

The jitney hit the restaurant which the targ visits.

Qe' Suchbogh targh'e' ngeQlI' lupwI'.

The jitney hit the targ which visits the restaurant.

> It is no more vague than many other sentences in
> Klingon.  The locative noun phrase {Qe' Qaw'bogh nawlogh} has received it's
> locative suffix, and the suffix is marking the correct noun in that phrase.

Ah, but the locative phrase has not received its locative suffix
any more than you could say {qachDaq tIn} is the noun phrase
"the big building" with a locative suffix added. We know it
should be {qach tInDaq}. If the phrase is getting a suffix, the
phrase gets the suffix, not just the noun itself.

> The {-'e'} disambiguator is always optional.  It is a convenience, not a
> requirement, and if it ceases to be convenient, don't try to use it.

I believe that it is a bit more than optional. For clarity's
sake, it is generally necessary, exept when it adds a poetic
sense to leave the head noun somewhat vague, as is the case for
{Hovmey ghajbe'bogh ram rur peghmey ghajbe'bogh jaj}.

> Until a Klingon comes and tells us (or Okrand) that {-Daq} does not belong
> in this position, I do not see any revolution coming.

Until a Klingon comes and tells us (or Okrand) that {-Daq} does
belong in this position, I don't see this kind of construction
occuring much with either of our interpretations. It is
DEFINITELY not as simple as you seek to paint it. Okrand has NOT
condoned your interpretation any more than mine. You are falsely
painting it that the preferred approach to this problem is
already presented through the simplest logical extention of
existing grammatical examples. That is simply not true.

> SuStel
> Stardate 98086.8

charghwI'

Back to archive top level