tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 02 10:37:30 1998

Re: jIloS.

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998 00:25:57 -0800 (PST) [email protected] wrote:

> In a message dated 98-01-29 17:55:05 EST, charghwI' writes:
>
> << jIvIHmo' QoQ vImuv. QoQ vImuvmeH jIvIH. >>
>
> ---peHruS challenges the word {muv}----
> DuSaQ vImuvlaH
> mangghom vImuvlaH
> QoQghom vImuvlaH
> qaq qechmeyvam 'e' vIHar
>
> But, I don't know how to express accurately that the music and the body join
> together.  Perhaps, tay'chuq QoQ jIH je works better.

While I see your point, I think it would have to be {tay'chuqmoH
QoQ jIH je}, since we can't be close each other, but we can
cause each other to be close. I don't see {tay'} as transitive,
so to become reflexive, it has to be transformed into transitive
first, hence {-moH}.

> From MO's past usage of
> {tay'}, I get the feeling this is the way to express "being together, as part
> of each other, being connected."  matay'DI maQap (TKW 209).  I gain the
> feeling that tay' is the opposite of mob (TKW 73, top), thus approximately the
> same as mobbe'.  See also TKW 34, both top and bottom.

Okay.

> Also, there's {qat}.  jImI'DI' muqat QoQ.  Similar to tlhej, but for music.
> Compare TKW 173 and TKW 161 to KGT 76, bottom.

That's an interesting image. I like it, both in the sense of
wrapping and encasing, and accompanying. The music accompanies
my dance much as an instrument would accompany my voice were I
singing, and my "floor music", stomping, definitely accompanies
the music.

> I don't think I'd use SIgh (TKW 170) here, even though the music does
> definitely influence how I dance.

Agreed. "Influence" seems too weak a word. The truth is
somewhere between "influence" and "command".

> peHruS

charghwI'

Back to archive top level