tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 01 20:08:01 1998

Re: Before and After

ja' edy:
>    And about the words: qaSpa' and rInDI' ?
>
>qaSpa' 'uQ - before dinner
>rInDI' 'uQ - after dinner

I've never liked these as formulaic replacements for "before" and "after".
In addition to the probability of their regular use blinding one to what
might be a much better wording, I see a nagging asymmetry between them.

If I'm going to say {qaSpa'} "before it occurs", I'd then say {qaSpu'DI'}
"as soon as it has happened".  If I'm going to say {rInDI'} "as soon as
it is finished", I'd probably have said {taghpa'} "before it begins".

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level