tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 01 12:38:02 1998

Re: Words (mirror) [was ridges]

I had begun with:

>> I should have started this with KLBC but I was more >> interested
in a quick reply.

>'oy'! vIbajbejpu' 'e' vItemlaHbe'.

batlh lo'laH 'oy'lI' Hoch

>> Before I sign off does anyone know of a word for >>'mirror' as in
the object, 'mirror' as in mirror
>> image, 'reflect' as in what a mirror does to light
>> and no it's not deflect. Although, if it was
>> specified that it was a deflection of light an equal >>angle (or
something like that) then deflect might

--------Robyn Stewart replied:

>Hey we don't even have words for "glass" and "be >transparent."
"Window" is a new acquisition.
>(Klingonists will ever be newcomers to me if they don't
>remember life before {raS} and {Qorwagh}.)  Maltz it >seems is not
much one for optics.

>When I wander around the house talking to myself, my >mirror is
sometimes {mucha'bogh jan}.  Or I just say
>{jI'IH 'e' vI'olmeH naDev jIlegh'egh}.  I suppose I
>could also say >{mucha'bogh Qorwagh}.  {wovbogh baS
>Hab} might have been an early Klingon mirror.
>

>The general concept of light as opposed to darkness >doesn't have a
Klingon word I know attached to it.
>{wovmoHwI'} can describe a light, and there is also >{tIH}.

>You sound like you're working to say a particular >thing.  What is it?

-------------My Reply:

Sorry not really anything in particular. It was when I was reading
"Mirror Mirror," I think that's what it was called, and I picked up my
Dictionary  to look up 'mirror' it wasn't there so  I looked up
reflect (quite a major word I thought) and it wasn't there so I looked
up light etc. etc. My search of, "well if it hasn't got that I wonder
if it's got......," finished with looking up photon. At this point I
realised I'd ended up too far removed from the word I was looking for
as although the word for photon existed there no way that at the stage
of development that the Klingon culture discovered the phenomenon of
reflection or mirrors that they would of had a word for photon or
known of its existence so it seemed silly even if it was possible to
describe reflection using it.   But there you go....or not!

So really it was just a case of curiosity leading to frustration
caused try to find a way to describe a word in tlhIngan.

Just back to forehead ridges which is where I started.

>I've seen HuDHomDu' used to describe forehead ridges.  >Consider also
{ghegh}, as you probably have.

In updating my Dictionary I came across: tlher - be lumpy(v). But I'm
sure I wouldn't last long If I admired a Klingons lumps.  Especially
if I forgot to specify which lumps. However, jokes aside, that's
exactly how Terrans refer to undulations on the head, isn't it? So who
knows. What do you think?

Thanks for the reply.

qe'San