tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 01 00:38:23 1998

Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

-----Original Message-----
From: Terrence Donnelly <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Saturday, January 31, 1998 12:20 AM
Subject: Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

>And so would I.  But canon does exist: the {meQtaHbogh...} example and
>the {'u' SepDaq Sovlu'be'bogh...} example from the Skybox card.  My
>initial desire was to ignore these as anomalies, but I'm getting more
>uncomfortable with that position.

I agree that {-Daq}, {-vo'}, {-vaD}, and {-mo'} seem much like
postpositions, but something like {Qe'Daq Qaw'bogh nawlogh SoplI' HoD}
really isn't particularly difficult to understand, and it follows both the
known rules and canon.  It is no more vague than many other sentences in
Klingon.  The locative noun phrase {Qe' Qaw'bogh nawlogh} has received it's
locative suffix, and the suffix is marking the correct noun in that phrase.
The {-'e'} disambiguator is always optional.  It is a convenience, not a
requirement, and if it ceases to be convenient, don't try to use it.

Until a Klingon comes and tells us (or Okrand) that {-Daq} does not belong
in this position, I do not see any revolution coming.

SuStel
Stardate 98086.8

Back to archive top level