tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 24 23:01:55 1998

Re: My old neighbor

In a message dated 12/23/1998 10:43:49 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< SuStel:
 : Why should {nI'} be able to describe an aspect of a noun, rather than a
 : noun?  {nI'} means "be lengthy (in duration)," and {jIl nI'} means "the
 : neighbor who is lengthy in duration."  Nonsense.  You're trying to describe
 : the time over which you've known the neighbor, not the neighbor himself.

The more I think about this debate, the more I DO like jIl nI' for the
translation of "a long-time friend."  I have a feeling that there is evidence
within the unseparable parts of the Klingon words for "grandfather" and for
"grandmother," too.

Although some of you will say that this is not quite true for "brother" and
for "sister," I can conceive of the idea that Klingons intrinsically think of
siblings as "long-term" relatives.  As a matter of fact, such relatives may
continue to be relatives even after death.

peHruS

Back to archive top level