tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 23 14:23:29 1998

RE: KLBC Am I doing this right yet??

lab juDmoS:

> qun luqon jeymoHwI'pu'
> (History is written by the victors)

> More literally, I used " (history) (they record it)
> (they who cause defeat) I think the structure is
> accurate...but I'm not certain of the context...is
> there a better way to say this?

We have this very phrase in TKW: <qun qon charghwI'pu''e'>. The lack of the
<lu-> prefix is interesting. In KGT, Okrand says it is a common error,
especially in non-formal speech.

The only problem in your version is <jeymoHwI'pu'>. <jeymoH> is not "cause
defeat" - it's "cause (others) to defeat", which is not what you want. Just
plain <jeywI'> is fine, though.

Of course, I would have suggested <charghwI'> instead even if I had not seen
the Okrand's rendering of this - it's the perfect word for "victor" in most
contexts.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level