tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 22 15:09:30 1998

Re: chuyDaH+mey (was Re: Problem Words)

: >Okrand never said that adding {-mey} to {chuyDaH} would refer to
: >"scattered all about". He said that adding {-mey} to {vIj} meant
: >"scattered all about".
:
: True, but that doesn't address my suggestion.  I never said anything
: to contradict Okrand; I just proposed that adding a plural suffix where
: we don't expect it might not always do the same thing as in other cases
: where an unexpected {-mey} implies the "scattered" idea.
:
: >                            He didn't mention adding {-mey} to
: >{chuyDaH} AT ALL. So far as the rules go for plurals, there is
: >NEVER a time when you add a plural suffix to {chuyDaH}. It is
: >already plural. It doesn't get MORE plural as you add more of
: >them. It just stays grammatically singular, with a plural
: >meaning.
:
: You're right, of course.  TKD says so at the bottom of page 23:
: "Finally, some nouns in Klingon are inherently or always plural in
: meaning, and therefore never take plural suffixes."  However, TKD
: also says other things that are contradicted by examples.  I am
: willing to consider a repluralized {chuyDaHmey}, mostly because of
: the syllable {DaH} in it, which we have seen translated in isolation
: to mean "bank" or "array".  If a {chuyDaH} is something like the
: "thruster cluster" installed on contemporary spacecraft, then it's
: perfectly reasonable to consider plural clusters.

Interestingly, Okrand used redundant plural suffixes fairly liberally
following
numbers on the BoP poster - but not here:

 Hong boq chuyDaH: loS
 Impulse Fusion Thrusters - 4

 muDDaq 'eDSeHcha lulaQlu'bogh: jav
 Atmosperic Take-Off/Landing Thrusters - 6

By my reading: yes, you can obviously have more than one {chuyDaH} - "set of
(main?) thrusters" if you like - on a ship, but nevertheless the word NEVER
takes a plural suffix.  You can tell Okrand did consider their inherent
plurality because of the {lu-} prefix on {laQ}, but still rejected {-mey}.

So:

 loS chuyDaH jav 'eDSeHcha je ghaj bI'rel tlharghDuj'e'.
 The B'rel class scout has four sets of main thrusters and six sets
   of take-off/landing thrusters.

: I point you back at my musings on {chuyDaH} and {-mey} to show you that
: my point was that it *didn't* have to carry the scattered idea one might
: expect from the other rules about an unexpected {-mey}.
:
: -- ghunchu'wI'

I couldn't find any example of an inherently plural noun with a plural suffix
in my notes.  But just to add fuel to the fire, here is Okrand speaking on the
opposite case: pluralizing the singular noun {mang} when there is a totally
different plural noun {negh}...

"The word {mang} is used when the warrior under discussion is described in
terms of his membership in a fighting unit (for example, as a crew member
on an
attack cruiser). Perhaps for this reason it is sometimes translated 'soldier'.
The usual plural form of {mang} is a different word altogether: {negh}
('warriors, soldiers'). The word {mangpu'} is seldom used used, but it is not
ungrammatical. It carries with it the notion that there are individuals (more
than one {mang}) making up the group; {negh} focuses on the group as a unit. A
similar word, {QaS}, normally translated 'troops', is used in almost the same
way as {negh}, but it excludes officers. All of the {negh} together make up
something called a {mangghom}." (KGT p.49f)

E.g.:

 lojmIt HurDaq qatlh negh tu'lu'?
 Why are there soldiers outside your door?
 Why is there a detachment of soldiers outside your door?

  lojmIt HurDaq cha' mang(pu') tu'lu'...  qatlh?
 There are two soldiers (troopers) outside your door...  Why?

Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level