tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 21 18:19:19 1998

RE: Beginner floundering

Welcome to the list, Lucas. My name is pagh, and I am the current Beginners'
Grammarian for the list. It's my job to help beginners learn Klingon.
Whenever you have a post you want help with, mark it for my attention by
putting the letters KLBC in the subject line.

lab Lucas Young:

> Hope this post isn't OT
> Bought TKD and Conversational Klingon audio tape
> (which is played in the car whenever we drive anywhere
> - we need wipers on the INSIDE of the windscreen
> dammit hehe) A lot of Klingon grammar is quite
> confusing and I was wondering if ppl would care to
> send the occasional simple post, with English translation,
> perhaps this could be a regular post, to give us newbies
> a bit of practise. I'm sort of at end-of-side-one
> "wej pu'hecHmey" (sic) level... :)

> Many thanks for a very well organised list

If you're only listening to CK, and not reading the Dictionary, you won't
get anywhere. CK is a wonderful reference, but it's only a supplement to the
Dictionary, not a replacement.

If you want some posts to practice on, look for some of the shorter KLBC
posts, especially after they have been corrected. They usually use fairly
simple grammar and don't take too long to translate. Also, if a post has an
English translation in it, resist the temptation to look at it until you've
figured out the sentence for yourself. You'll learn more and you'll get a
greater sense of accomplishment.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level