tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 19 17:14:05 1998

Re: KLBC: nuQbogh jaj

Voragh wrote:

> HovqIj:
> >
> > >ghaytan wa' jaj bIjor 'ej bIQID'eghchu' qoj latlhpu' DaQIDchu'.
> > >rut QeHlIj DatlhabmoH 'e' qaq law' QeHlIj DavI' 'e' qaq puS.
> > >[...]
> > >You probably dislike that I used a sentence with <'e'> as the subject of
> > >the <law' / puS> construction, right? I wouldn't have dared to do this,
> > >but I'm _quite_ sure we have canon for this (one of the skybox cards, I
> > >think). If I am wrong here, I am going to accept it.
>
> ghunchu'wI':
> >
> > > Someone needs to hit you with a painstick!  Unless you can come up with
> > > this purported canon, you're *way* off base here.  {'e'} is always used
> > > as the object of a sentence, and by your own explanation you're trying
> > > to use it as a subject.  That's even assuming that the noun phrases in
> > > a {law'/puS} construction even count as subjects.
> > > If *I* am wrong here, and there *is* canon precedent, *I* am of course
> > > going to accept it. :-)
>
> HovqIj:
> >
> > I definitely understand why you don't like it. But I really have this
> strange
> > feeling I've seen it before. I'm probably just wrong. Voragh?
>
> I can find NO examples of {'e'} as the subject of a sentence or clause, nor
> are
> there any examples of {'e'} appearing anywhere in a {law'/puS} construction.
> If somebody's done it, it wasn't Okrand.  If you can find canon, please
> post it
> here and I'll update my notes.  The closest thing I could find is from SkyBox
> S26, which HovqIj may be misremembering:
>
>  DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS
>  be'nI'pu' lurSa' be'etor je.
>  The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor, are
>  constantly seeking a higher standing for the House of Duras
>  within the Klingon High Council.
>
> Perhaps the fact that {'e'} appears before {reH} confused you, as it looks as
> if it is in the subject slot for the first clause, whereas it is actually the
> object of {lunIDtaH}.
>
> [...]

No, sorry, that was not what I meant. I browsed through the maliling
list archives today. I think I found what I was referring to:
/cgi-bin/mfs/1998/Apr98/0557.html
Unfortunately I had to find out that the use of <'e'> with <law'/puS)
was clearly argued against in that thread and that it was definitely
_no_ canon example. I have to apologize.
Never show your students how not to do it - they'll remember only the
wrong form and begin to think it was the correct one...
DopDaq Qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.

HovqIj - Qagh taQ po'wI'

> Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level