tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 16 06:50:36 1998

Re: RE: KLBC: pIqaD question, and thanks to all

You can recognize the KLI original font because the "Z"
character is actually a name: Dr. Lawrence Schoen. Most people
who copy the font don't realize this, or don't have software to
modify fonts, so they still have Lawrence's name there.

Lawrence said that he has improved the font quite a bit since I
bought a copy from him, kerning it, etc. Meanwhile, using the
same software he used to create the font (creating a font with
this package is a VERY impressive feat), I kerked it, removed
the lowercase characters and copied the uppercase characters to
the lowercase positions, added punctuation, and took an example
font with a slight oriental look and remapped the characters and
created ligature characters so that the same character mapping
for Lawrence's pIqaD spells out a romanized version of the same
word. Just copy, paste and change the font.

Some would say, "Get a life", but those people need a hobby
besides TV. This kind of stuff is fun to do.

And no, I won't sell or give away my font because it is based so
much on Lawrence's work and HE deserves the money, not me. Maybe
if you bought his font first...

charghwI'

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 06:02:27 -0800 (PST) "Rose, Thornton
(Atlanta)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [cut]
>
> > My next question pertains to the pIqaD font that I have downloaded. I
> > can't
> > remember where I got it, but bascially, the capital letters look like
> > those
> > found at www.kli.org/kli/pics/piqdemo.gif. I want to make sure that as I
> > translate, I am getting the case of the lettering correct. I need some
> > assurance that the lettering in that gif is the capital letters for pIqaD,
> > and that I should be using lowercase accordingly. Alas, I have no
> > character
> > map for the lowercase pIaqD characters, so I can't be entirely sure that
> > what I'm looking at is correct. I have not been able to find one on the
> > www, either.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Erik (ta'HoS)?
> >
> If the capital letters look like the symbols in the image that you
> mention and you did not get the font from the KLI, it is most likely a
> copy. You might want to purchase the KLI font disk, just to make sure
> that you get a quality font.
>
> The KLIpIqaDmey font file on the KLI font disk includes two sets of
> symbols. The pIqaD symbols are mapped to the uppercase letters. The
> other symbols, which are called the Mandel set, are mapped to the
> lowercase letters. (Personally, I would rather have the pIqaD symbols in
> a separate font file, so that the Roman letters used in TKD could be
> mapped to the pIqaD symbols.) The pIqaD symbols were developed by
> Michael Okuda (although he does not say that they are an alphabet or
> phonetic symbology or anything else besides graphics). The Mandel set
> was developed prior to the Star Trek movies and is published in one of
> the Star Trek compendiums (but the title escapes me).
>
> Here are the key mappings for the pIqaD symbols in the KLIpIqaDmey font:
>
> p:   a b ch D e ng gh H I j q l m n o p Q r S t u v w tlh y '
> key: A B C  D E F  G  H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X   Y '
>
> p:   0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
>
> Note that punctuation is not usually used with pIqaD, and text is usually
> written centered, one sentence per line.
>
> ~ Thornton

Back to archive top level