tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 10 08:16:26 1998

Re: Klingon Bird of Prey (KBP) poster: THE TEXT!

> [Voragh] wrote:
>
> >:> pIvchem lIngwI' DaHmey: cha'
> >:> Warp Field Generation Arrays - 2
> >:
> >: DaH = array. Another new word. Also, {pIvchem} follows in the
> >: footsteps of {pIvghor} and {pIvlob} and does not imply that "the
> >: field is healthy".
> >
> > Not really:  {nISwI' DaH} "disruptor banks", pu'DaH "phaser banks", and
> > possibly {chuyDaH} "thrusters" (as opposed to a single large rocket).
>
> Throughout all of this, I don't think {DaH} has appeared in any
> word list by Okrand as a word unto itself meaning "array". I'm
> always cautious about that.

We're talking English usage here.  What's the difference between a "bank" and
an "array" of weapons or other devices?  English has a huge number of synonyms
and near-synonyms.  Klingon - or at least the small subset we know of -
doesn't
... at least, not yet.

> >:> wey jolpat: wa' (jav ghotpu')
> >:> Personnel Transporter - 1 (6 Man)
> >:
> >: This discourages one from interpreting {wey} as specifying any
> >: given number of men, unless you consider 6 to be that number. Do
> >: six men make a "company"?
> >
> > {wey} is a company in the sense of the entire crew, i.e. the ship's
> company.
>
> So, how many crew members does this ship normally carry? More than six?

It's not stated but I counted eleven tiny Klingon figures (or parts thereof)
scattered about on the ship for scale.  This is consistent from what we
learned
from ST3, that the crew complement of a B'rel class BoP is about 12 officers
and men.  Which means that the entire ship can be evacuated using the
personnel
transporter twice, or personnel and cargo transporters together once -
though I
certainly wouldn't want to be one of those using the cargo transporter. (But
during an emergency evacuation you can't be choosy.)

> charghwI' 'utlh

Voragh, tlhIngan tal pIn'a'  {{;-)
(MO's not the only one who can make puns!)

Back to archive top level