tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 09 15:00:01 1998

Re: Klingon Bird of Prey (KBP) poster: THE TEXT!

I [Voragh] wrote:

>> nIn: bIQSIp 'ugh
>> Fuel - Deuterium Isotope
>
> {bIQSIp 'ugh} "heavy hydrogen" = deuterium (i.e. H2O2, "heavy water"). We
can

> now add {bIQSIp} "hydrogen" to {voQSIp} "nitrogen" and {yInSIp} "oxygen"
from

Cmdr Scot Adams wrote:

> In the following, you refer to heavy water as H2O2. Actually, it would be
> more
> correct to say D2O, as H2O2 is Hydrogen Peroxide. Deuterium is as follows:

Thanks for the correction.  Obviously, I should stick to what I know best -
and
that's NOT chemistry!  Funny the bits of (mis)information that get stuck in
your brain.  Perhaps I was misremembering 2H2O?

> Deuterium --
> The isotope of the element hydrogen with atomic weight 2.0144 and symbols 2H
> or
> D. The terrestrial natural abundance of deuterium is 1 part in 6700 parts
of
> ordinary hydrogen (protium). Deuterium is a gas (D2) at room temperature.
it
> is prepared from heavy water, D2O either by electrolysis or by reaction of
> D2O with metals such as zinc, iron, calcium, and uranium, It is also
prepared
> directly by the fractional distillation of liquid hydrogen.
>
> Deuterium is used mainly in the form of heavy water (again, D2O).

Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level