tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 09 13:29:56 1998

Re: cheb

At 12:20 PM 12/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Going back to the topic of how heavy is a cheb, I see that the
>root of the problem is that we don't know for sure what a KT is.
>I expect it is a kiloton, and that means 1,000 tons. Meanwhile,
>is that a short ton, a long ton or a metric ton. Other
>measurements on the poster were metric, so I went with metric
>tons to get the 2.57777777778... kg/cheb. When I go with a short
>ton, I get 5.15555555555555556... pounds per cheb.
>
>Meanwhile, there's no reason not to believe that somebody
>rounded something off here... I doubt Okrand will ever tell us
>which kind of ton he was working with here.

As far as I can remember from school, Kilo- is only used in the Metric system.
Also, in all the other canon sources he seems to have used metic ie 'uj =
approx 35 cm...
They also always seems to use metric on star trek, so I would say it's a
good bet to take.

Maybe he is one of the few americans who like that system ;)

>charghwI' 'utlh

qurgh HoD

Back to archive top level