tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 01 12:21:38 1998

Re: transitive/intransitive verb

: The question in a recent thread about transitive and intransitive pertained
: to me just last night while I was composing a piece.
: He raises his sword.
: yanDaj pep   - or -   yanDaj pepmoH
:
: DloraH

This is a question of English usage.  "Raise" is transitive, "rise" is
intransitive (for which use {Sal} "ascend"):

  yanDaj pep
  he raises his sword

  Sal yanDaj
  his sword rises ("ascends")

BTW, we now have special verbs for the bat'leth and possibly other types of
swords, {chaQ} and {ngol}:

  To thrust either end of the bat'leth (as opposed to the long part of
  the blade) upward is {chaQ}. To change the approximate orientation of
  the weapon from horizontal to vertical is {ngol}; the reverse is {lev}.
  (KGT p.59)

Voragh

Back to archive top level