tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 29 20:30:51 1998

Re: KLBC - paghvaD pab qab vInob

ja' pagh
> lab tuv'el:

> > KLBC - paghvaD pab qab vInob
> >
> > yItIv!

> 'e' vInab.
TRANS: I plan to?  Can /'e'/ be used for that if the context is clear?

> > jISeyHa'qu' SaSchu'mo' 'aj SoQ.
> > "I was very disappointed because the admiral's lecture was
> > utterly superficial."

> maj. This meaning of <SaS> is slang, of course, but if you would use
> "cool" in normal speech, this is no different.

chong >;-)

> > jagh vengDaq ghuS'a' cha?
> > "Are the missiles ready to launch at the enemy's city?"

> This doesn't quite work for me. <ghuS'a' cha> means "are the missiles
> ready (to launch)", but the "to launch" part is really just Okrand's
> clarification - "to launch" as opposed to "to explode" or "to turn into
> small fish". <ghuS> is similar to English words like "armed", "loaded",
> etc. For that reason, the locative makes me think the missiles are IN
> the enemy city.

> There are lots of ways to say this. Here is one: <jagh veng 'oH DoS'e'.
> ghuS'a' cha?

peng boghuSmoHlaHpa' jagh vengDaq peng boQeqnIS.
"Before you can ready the missile, you must aim it at the enemy's city."

> > reH bIHojqu'chugh Hoch pab Dapab not 'e' Daghoj.
> > "You wil never learn to follow all the rules of grammer
> > if you are always so cautious."

> Close, but <... 'e' Daghoj> doesn't work. That says you will learn THAT
> you follow the rules of grammar, not HOW to follow the rules. Try again
> with <-meH>.

reH bIHojqu'chugh not DaghojmeH Hoch pab Dapab.

I think I made it worse than it was before!  Now that I look at it, I see
why /'e' Daghoj/ doesn't work, so how do I express this idea?

tlhInganpu' Hol bIjtaH tuv'el:

chetlhu'moHta'mo' tlhIH'e' yuchraj neH DISopchu'!
"Since you are the ones who have tempted us, we will eat only your
chocolates!"

qaStaHvIS <qul tuq> much Qav'e' Dej ghe'naQ qach ngo'.
"The old opera house collapsed during the final performance of <House of
Fire>."

SochleS qaHaq 'ej tlhuQlIj vIteq.
"I will operate on you and remove your tail next week."

- tuv'el

Back to archive top level