tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 27 14:30:57 1998

RE: KLBC - paghvaD pab qab vInob

lab tuv'el:

> KLBC - paghvaD pab qab vInob
>
> yItIv!

'e' vInab.

> ja' Qov:
> > tlhIngan Hol DaSovqu'choH 'e' vISovmo', bIQaghDI'
> > jIQIjchu'be'. QaghlIj DatI'meH vI'ang neH.  rut
> > laHlIj vInoHHa'law'mo' qamISmoH 'ej qatIch.
> > ghu'vam vIpayqu'.
>
> TRANS: Because I know you are starting to know Klingon
> so well, when you make a mistake I don't explain it
> explicitly.  I merely show you your mistake for you
> to fix.  Sometimes, because I apparently misjudge your
> ability I confuse you and insult you.  I quite regret
> this situation.
>
> qay'be'.

maj. QIjchu' Qov 'ej bImughchu' SoH.

> > > HIja', jaghwI' DIrDaq pongwIj vIghItlh 'ej no'wI'
> > > pongmey vIghItlh je. chaHDaq meqleH tuj vIlo'DI'
> > > reghbe'.  vaj jIghertaHvIS ghItlh vIleghlaH.
>
> > Dajoy'chu'.  bortaS nIvqu' Dachav.
>
> TRANS: You torture him perfectly.  You achieve a very
> superior revenge.

maj.

> > > SaSqu'mo' ghItlhqoqlIj lulaDbe'lu'.
> > > "Your so-called engraving is too shallow to read."
>
> > I wonder if /SaS/ can mean 'shallow' in that sense.  I read
> > it as "horizontal."  I think I would prefer /beQ/ for this
> > English meaning of 'shallow.'  In TKD we are given /ghItlh/
> > as "manuscript."  I don't know whether this still has
> > connotations of a manuscript in stone or whether you'd have
> > to say /mu'mey DaghItlhta'bogh/ to be clear. Finally, the
> > /lu-/ prefix on /laD/ says that your English translation
> > should be plural.
>
> jISeyHa'qu' SaSchu'mo' 'aj SoQ.
> "I was very disappointed because the admiral's lecture was
> utterly superficial."

maj. This meaning of <SaS> is slang, of course, but if you would use
"cool" in normal speech, this is no different.

> > > Dahjaj gheD yIQtaHvIS yIwaH!
> > > "Taste the catch of the day while it is still wet!"
>
> > OVS problem.  /yIQtaHvIS DaHjaj gheD/
>
> yIQtaHvIS DaHjaj gheD yIwaH jay'!
>
> > > SajwIj tI'qa' vIghro' ghaH martaq.  pIj chopbe'.
> > > "Martok is my pet tika cat.  He doesn't bite often."
>
> > /SajwIj tI'qa' vIghro'/ doesn't quite work as a noun noun
> > for me. When you use the noun noun to qualify a specific
> > instance of a type you put the specific noun first.
>
> > /toqvIr lung/  a toqvIr's lizard, a lizard of the toqvIr variety
> > /tI'qa' vIghro'/ a tI'qa''s cat, a cat of the tI'qa' variety
> > /tI'qa' vIghro' Saj/ a pet of the tika cat variety.
>

> > Even on a proper name you need /-'e'/ in the pronoun as to be
> > construction. /... ghaH martaq'e'/.
>
> > Is there a difference between "he often doesn't bite" and
> > "he doesn't bite often"?  I think so.  And I think /pIj
> > chopbe'/ is the former. I'd translate "He doesn't often bite"
> > as /motlh chopbe'/.  Something to ponder.
>
> tI'qa' vIghro' SajwIj ghaH martaq'e'.  motlh chopbe' jay'.

One thing Qov didn't point out is that the <ghaH> should be <'oH>. The
distinction between <'oH> and <ghaH> in Klingon is pretty clear, and
pets fall on the <'oH> side. There was a long discussion of this a while
ago.

> jagh vengDaq ghuS'a' cha?
> "Are the missiles ready to launch at the enemy's city?"

This doesn't quite work for me. <ghuS'a' cha> means "are the missiles
ready (to launch)", but the "to launch" part is really just Okrand's
clarification - "to launch" as opposed to "to explode" or "to turn into
small fish". <ghuS> is similar to English words like "armed", "loaded",
etc. For that reason, the locative makes me think the missiles are IN
the enemy city.

There are lots of ways to say this. Here is one: <jagh veng 'oH DoS'e'.
ghuS'a' cha?>

> reH bIHojqu'chugh Hoch pab Dapab not 'e' Daghoj.
> "You wil never learn to follow all the rules of grammer
> if you are always so cautious."

Close, but <... 'e' Daghoj> doesn't work. That says you will learn THAT
you follow the rules of grammar, not HOW to follow the rules. Try again
with <-meH>.

> Soj wIHutlhmo' nom yuQ boDannIS.
> "You must occupy the planet quickly because we
> lack food."

maj.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian