tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 27 16:19:05 1998

Unfinished business for tuv'el

Just before pagh's punishment began, tuv'el and I were discussing the
analysis of diseased sentences.  I promised him some diseased
sentences to work on.  I hope pagh won't consider it infringement on
his newly-acquired territory if I finish what I started and deliver
the sentences.  Here are a few written a couple of years ago by an
over-enthusiastic list newbie who thought her diseased Klingon was
Kayless' own gift to the list.  Maybe seeing her sentences publically
ridiculed will teach her some humility.

Your assignment, tuv'el, is to explain what is wrong with
the sentences, and fix them, if they can be saved.  Your choice
whether to send your analysis for pagh's attention or mine.

THESE SENTENCES ALL HAVE ERRORS.

tlhIngan Hol lujatlh ghotpu' 'e' vInejtaH.
I looked (on an ongoing basis) for people who spoke Klingon.

Hol qab lujatlh ghotpu' 'e' vItu'pu'.
The people I found spoke bad Klingon.

tIqbej 'oHmo' loS 'ay' vIlab.
I'm sending four parts because it's unquestionably long.

jIHvaD yuch qatbogh chagh.
He dropped the wrapped chocolate for me.

mochwI' ghogh vIQoy <QuvlIj maghaj. yIjolrup!>
I heard the voice of my superior. "We have your coordinates.  Stand by
for beam up!"

yIHHommeyna'wIjvo' HIchevnISQo'neS jIDub'eghqanqqa'moHlaHbejtaHneSmo'
Please, you mustn't separate me from my true little tribbles, as I am
willing and able to once more make myself go on definitely improving,
your honour.

qaSIgh 'e' jIbel.
I'm glad that I influenced you.
----
Maybe your ability to detect the problems in your own sentences will
improve when you look at someone else's messes.

(If anyone's feeling sorry for the poor beginner I'm ridiculing,
relax. She changed her name to Qov, and her Klingon is slowly improving.)
==

Qov - FORMER Beginners' Grammarian
"1999 is the penultimate year of the 20th century."