tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 17 04:32:44 1998

Re: Colour names

From: Robyn Stewart <[email protected]>

>bong tuv'el jabbI'ID vIqIl.
>
>Yes, it's fine to use /-qu'/ to stress the verb or stress the colour.
>I was just starting to notice people using the Klingon specialized
>colours just because they could, not because there was any Klingon
>reason to differentiate.  I wanted to make the point that in the
>simple difference between red and green, Doq/SuD is quite sufficient.

Quite right.  You don't go around telling people that the sky is "a somewhat
light shade of blue," you tell them it's "blue."  Klingon color
distinctions, IN THE LANGUAGE, are even less specific.  In fact, I believe
English uses more primary color words than any other language.

If I'm wearing a green shirt, standing under a blue sky, a Klingon
describing my clothes would say {SuD yIvbeH}.  It's only when he compares it
to something else of the color {SuD} that he's going to make a distinction.
{SuD chal 'ej SuDqu' yIvbeH}.

SuStel
Stardate 98625.2

Back to archive top level