tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 13 08:14:24 1998

Re: KLBC++ : Some Questions on {jatlh}, {ghom}, etc.

: Dawut Duy'a' <[email protected]> wrote:
:> While composing an email communiqué, I rendered {maghomqa'} for
:> "we meet again" and as a result several questions have been conjured.
:> In the spirit of {qajatlh} "I speak to you/I speak with you", would it
:> be acceptible to say, {qaghomqa'} for "I meet you again" or {choghomqa'}
:> for "you meet me again"; or should these be fully expanded to {maghomchuqqa'
:> maH} "we meet/encounter each other again" and so on?
:
: Okrand has used {ghom} both transitively and intransitively, so
: apparently, it doesn't need {-chuq}, though that would not be
: necessarily wrong to use it. In other words, all of the
: following would be correct:
:    maghomqa'.
:    choghomqa'.
:    qaghomqa'.
:    maghomchuqqa'.
: While I don't have the quotes with me, the references I have are:
: S15, HolQeD 4.3, TKW p184, TKD p170. I fully expect voragh won't
: be far behind me...

Here's what I have for the verb {ghom} (what's that HolQeD 4.3 ref?):

tachDaq maghom
We will meet in the cocktail lounge. TKD

bInajtaHvIS qeylIS Daghomjaj
May you encounter Kahless in your dreams! PK

tlhIngan 'avwI' lughom
They meet a Klingon guard. PK

tera' vatlh DISpoH cha'maH loS bong QongmeH qItI'nga Duj tI'ang ghompu'
 DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'
A sleeper ship of this [K'Tinga] class, the T'Ong, was encountered in the
 24th century by the USS Enterprise. S15

rut yIHmey ghom Hoch
Everyone encounters tribbles occasionally. TKW

ngoch luchermeH 'ej wo' San luwuqmeH pa' ghom tlhIngan yejquv DevwI'pu'
where the leaders of the Klingon High Council meet to determine policy and
 decide upon the fate of the Empire. S25

: > We've seen {qajatlh} in "canon" for "I speak to you/I speak with you".
: > The Postal Course includes {qaghItlh} for "I write to you".
:
: That probably should not be there. It's a stretch, since
: {ghItlh} is not the best word for "write" in the sense of
: "correspond" and when I see {qaghItlh}, I have an image of
: someone tatooing someone.
:
: charghwI'

jImon.  For "write" in the non-physical sense, consider {Qum} "communicate".
Okrand has used it just once, in a post to SuStel on the old MSN Expert
Forum BBS (11/96):

  naDev bIQumqa' 'e' vItul.

Whether {Qum} can take an object - ?{qaQum} "I communicate with you" - is
unknown.

--
Voragh                           "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons     lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level