tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 12 08:00:25 1998

Makah Battle Language

*Canada* Sung Hol vIHaDchoH 'e' boSovlaw' 'ej latlh ghojwI'pu' vIqIH.
tlhIngan Hol vIHaD 'e' vIchIDba'.  jatlh wa' nuv:

> ...Do you know the name Brent Galloway?  He's a guy from SIFC / U. of
> Regina who studies Halq'emeylem.  At the Salish conference, one of his
> remarks about some shortened forms in the Makah language or whatnot
> ended
> with "or it could be like Klingon battle language"!  I didn't get to
> ask him if he's a Klingonist.

Everyone I have spoken to about Halkomelem has heard of Klingon.
Typically they have used it in exams, and nobody rolls their eyes or
laughs.  Apparently it's considered valid enough that it's a
legitimate basic of comparison for natural languages.  I think this is
very cool.

==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian