tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 10 08:06:52 1998

Re: KLBC

---"Michael H. Clawson" <[email protected]> wrote:

toH, pongvetlh vIghov.  jumuvta'.  maj.
Aha, I recognize that name.  You've joined us.  Well done.

> SaH jIHna'
> I am present

The verb needs a prefix.  Have a look at page 33 and you will see why
it needs to be /jISaH/.  "I am present."

/jISaH jIHna'/ might mean something like "It is definitely me who i
present."  You've not only used an optional pronoun, but you've added
the suffix /-na'/ to emphasise how sure it is that it's you.

> quSwIj let
> my chair is hard

Reread section 6.1.  The subject of a clause in Klingon goes before
its verb.  So /let quSwIj/.  Good use of the noun suffix.

> jItlheDtaH
> I am leaving

maj.  Using /-taH/ instead of /-lI'/ for the continuous implies that
you're not leaving all that directly, or that the actual completion of
the action of leaving is not important, or not strongly intended.
Re-read page 42.  This is a distinction that doen't exist in English
grammar.  Klingon has a few such distinctions and you just have to get
used to them, and learn to think like a Klingon.

maj.  batlh DughojmoHlaw' tuv'el.
==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian