tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 07 07:47:26 1998

Re: KLBC

---Nathan Grange <[email protected]> wrote:

> 1. What I wanted to say
> 2. How I translated it into tlhIngan Hol
> 3. My best guess at what the tlhIngan Hol says..
>
> My computer is broken
> De'wI'wIj Qapchu'be'
> [my computer is functioning not-perfectly]

Have another look at section 6.1.  In Klingon, the subject, the thing
or person that does the action of the verb, comes AFTER the verb and
anything it does the action to comes BEFORE.  Here it's the computer
that does -- or rather does not -- do the verb's action, so you need
to rewrite the sentence:

Qapchu'be' De'wI'wIj
"My computer isn't working properly."

This implies that the computer is working, but not perfectly.  If it
wasn't working at all, you could say /Qapbe'chu'/.  But I think you
knew that.

> I am going to try to fix it
> De'wI'wIj vItI'choH 'e' vInID
> [My computer, I start to repair it - I try this]

majQa'.  Here the computer is the object of the sentence, the thing
that you, the subject are doing the action on.  That whole sentence i
the object of the next verb, /nID/.

> But, I don't think it will ever work properly..
> 'ach De'wI'wIj Qapchu'choH 'e' vIHarbe'
> [but, my computer begin to function perfectly - I don't believe this ]

Once again the subject is before the verb instead of where it should
be, after the verb.
Little problem on the verb: /-chu'/ is a type 6 suffix while /-choH/
is type 3.  The order of the suffixes must be reversed.

Fix that and you have: /'ach QapchoHchu' De'wI'wIj 'e' vIHarbe'/
And that works pretty darn well.

You could also say "I don't think it will ever work properly" as
/not QapchoHchu' 'e' vIHar/.

literally: "I believe that it will never work perfectly."
even more literally: "never it works perfectly - I believe that."

> (I think you might need to read ' will happen' at the end of that,
eveb tho'
> its not literally what is written...)

Quite right.  In context it is perfectly clear that an English
translation should include future tense.

> I would apreciate your cutting critisisim....and of course everyone
elses
> comments are welcome..

It's quite good work.  You just need to tighten up word and syllable
order.

==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian