tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 30 11:42:58 1998

Re: Re: Some questions and ideas

>We'd certainly like to know about your course, and to see you post in
>Klingon so we can rest assured that it is the {ta' Holna'} you are
teaching.

    *TKD*Daq pab tu'lu'bogh wImuch.  *TKD*mo' *KGT*mo' je mu'tay'maj
wItlhap.  Hol *course*na' rur *course*maj.  maQaghbej 'ach *canon*
wImuch 'e' wInID.

}    First of all, concerning the pIqaD:  Do the letters have names?
For
}instance, a, bee, cee, etc. in English.  Is there a direct analog, such

}as 'a', be', che', etc, or some other such system?  What I would really

}like to see is a system like that of the Greek letters.  That is, a lot

}of the letters would have two- or three-syllable names (alpha, beta,
}etc.).

>None known.  We don't even know that the true pIqaD is divided into 26
>glyphs corresponding to the Okrand writing system, it's just a
convenience
>for us, and none of the glyph writing systems is canon.

    Do'Ha'

}    Next, I need to clarify something.  Do Klingons use any form of
}punctuation?  Since I know of no system other than that of English,
I've
}gone under the assumption that Klingon doesn't use any puntuation.

>Again we don't know.  They may use different letters to represent a
>sound at
>the end of a sentence.  The shapes of the glyphs for -'a' (noun suffix)
and
>-'a' (verb suffix) may be different, making the latter a sort of
question mark.

    Dajbej.

}But
}what I think would be really cool is if Klingon had its own system of
}puntuation, with different symbols and different rules of usage.

It's not going to even get a writing system, because the man who does
the
sets, last name Okuda, I've forgotten his first name, doesn't want to be

constrained by meanings for the symbols he scatters around on Klingon
consoles.

    Do'Ha'.  pIqaD HachmoHlu'chu' 'e' vIneH.

}    And I was looking around in all of various lexicons, but couldn't
}find a good way to say 'literature' (as in, of course, 'Klingon
}literature').  If any of you know a good way to translate that, I'd be
}happier person.

>If I ever don't know a word in Klingon, I look it up, to see what it
*means*.

>>From the Pocket Oxford
>"literature: books and written works, especially of kind valued for
form and
>style; the production of these, or their authors, as a class; the realm
of
>letters; the writing of a country or period; the books etcetera
treating of
>a subject; (colloq) printed matter.
>
>So, depending on your intended shade of meaning: {paqmey}, {lutmey
>qonlu'ta'bogh}, {paqmey/ghItlhmey potlh}.  Describe exactly what you
mean
>and you have your meaning.

    qathlo'

}    Lastly, I'd like to suggest something concerning Klingon music.

>naDev wIqelta'. /tlhIngan-Hol/search.html yISam 'ej
>August-September-October 1997 QInmeyDaq yInej.  DIvI' Hol lulo'
luneHmo'
>*e-mail* lulo'choH qelwI'pu'.  ghaytan nISovmoHlaH. naDev Hol'e'
>wIqelbe'chugh, tlhIngan Hol wIlo'.

    maj.  tugh vISambej

>Shaun, wa' *Ault* vISov jIH.  SarniaDaq bogh.  *Sarnia, ON*Daq qorDu'
>DaSov'a'?
>
>Qov     [email protected]
>Beginners' Grammarian

    ghobe'.  vISovbe'.