tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 30 00:07:27 1998

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but..

In a message dated 98-04-30 01:55:33 EDT, Qov writes:

<< Okrand repeatedly and consistently uses the phrase "beings capable of using
 language" in TKD.  I'm don't believe he uses the word sentient anywhere in
 the text. >>

This is exactly how I know that TKD is incomplete in its explanations.  Even
though MO uses "capable of using language," he means "sentient beings".  In
other places I have seen repeated explanations of what is considered actually
capable of using language.  I am very sure that robots, computers, and many
machines are capable of using language, though not with sentience.  They do
NOT take {-pu'}; they must take {-mey}.   Lower animals communicate; language
experts do not consider them capable of language nor sentient.  They take
{-mey}.

This is precisely what is wrong with taking TKD's error literally.

peHruS

Back to archive top level