tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 29 22:12:22 1998

Re: Verb prepositional concepts

At 23:51 98-04-28 -0700, boSo wrote:

}> I respectfully remind you that the full definition of {qIm} is
}> "pay attention, concentrate". If one were to assume that
}> {qIm}'s definition may be expanded to include "pay attention
}> TO" one would likely then be compelled to believe that it also
}> meant "concentrate ON", which is the third definition of {buS}.
}
}(I just how these words fit into my limited understanding of tlhIngan
}Hol.)
} On CK, Worf occasionally says 'pay attention, concentrate' which
}MO immediately translates as yIqlm, yIbuS

This may be the most intelligent contribution to the discussion so far.
Well spotted.

}(Now if I can work out what transitive, (and int.) mean, I will
}really be able to participate intelligibly)

A verb is transitive when it has an object, i.e. performs its action on
something.

"I see the cat."
"The cat eats the mouse."
"I pay attention to the lecture."

There "see," "eats," and "pay attention to" are all transitive.  The same
verbs can act intransitively:

"I see."
"The cat eats."
"I pay attention."

Some verbs can be transitive and intransitive.  Some verbs can't.  Notice
that "pay attention" can't be transitive.  *"I pay attention the lecture"
isn't a valid statement in English.  The discussion you are witnessing is
over whether {qIm} means both "pay attention" (as it is in the dictionary)
amd "pay attention to" (as some people would like to use it).  If the
English verb used to translate a Klingon verb is not transitive and is not
given with a transitive alternative (look at {voq} {wuv} and {Don} for
examples) most of us assume it can't be used transitively.

Good question.  You probably weren't the only one who was wondering.  Ask
again if that's not completely clear.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level