tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 28 22:40:45 1998

Re: Much ado

From: Terrence Donnelly <[email protected]>

>At 01:55 PM 4/28/98 -0700, SuStel wrote:
>>From: Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen <[email protected]>
>>
>>>All I can say is, "yItuv."
>>
>>You mean, {yItuv'eghmoH}.
>
>I see what you are driving at: "cause someone to be patient and have
>that someone be yourself", but is this necessary?  I think you are
>implying that an imperative prefix can't command someone to take on a
>quality, but I don't see the problem.  We do have the canon {petaD},
>which does exactly that: commands the listeners to take on a state.
>Are there any other canon examples of imperatives with descriptive
>verbs?

There's an explicit description of when this happens.  KGT p. 117.

<<
{yItaD!} or {petaD} ("Be frozen!")

These are idiomatic ways to give the command "Don't move!"  The word {yItaD}
is used when speaking to an individual; {petaD} is used when giving the
command to a group.  The verb {taD} means "be frozen," and it is used here
in a peculiar, though not really ungrammatical, way.  Generally, when a verb
describing a state of being (for example, {tIj} ["be hot"]) is used in the
imperative form, the suffixes {-'egh} (reflexive suffix) and {-moH}
("cause") are used as well: {yItuj'eghmoH} ("Heat yourself"—that is, "Cause
yourself to be hot!"), {yItaD'eghmoH!} ("Freeze yourself!—that is, "Cause
yourself to be frozen!").  When {taD} is treated in the idiomatic sense of
"not move," however, it is treated as if it were a verb describing an
activity, such as {yIt} ("walk"): {yIyIt!} ("Walk!").

This is also a passage which shows that there definitely is some kind of
difference between verbs of state and verbs of activity.

Is {tuv} a verb of state or a verb of activity?  If you think you can say
{loD tuv} "the patient man," then you must accept that {tuv} is a verb of
state, and therefore you must accept that {yItuv'eghmoH} is the correct
command to give.  (Or, perhaps Lawrence actually meant {petuv'eghmoH}.)

Still, this rule is broken sometimes.  How about {QaghlIj tIchID; yIyoH!}
"Have the courage to admit your mistakes"?  Is {yoH} a verb of state or a
verb of activity?  Can you say {loD yoH} "brave man"?

SuStel
Stardate 98324.9

Back to archive top level