tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 27 22:42:22 1998

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but..

----------
> From: Joel Peter Anderson <[email protected]>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but..
> Date: Monday, April 27, 1998 6:46 AM
>
> On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, m109 wrote:
>

> > > At 03:53 98-04-25 -0700, Natahn Grange wrote:
> > > }janlI' belHa'wI'
> > > }your cruel device
>

> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't jan *device* a thing and so
does not
> > merit the possesive suffix -lI' rather -lIj as it is not a being
capable
> > of language.  pojwI' knows this and so would only show the word
janlI'
> > not the construction jan + -lI' I suggest you use janlIj as the
> > construction jan + -lIj is the only possible answer that pojwI'
could
> > pull up.
>
> This comes up from time to time - though here it seems obvious that
lIj is
> better, I'd expect that Klingons lack unanimity on this, as do
humans. The
> line between sentience and perceived sentience is blurry enough so
that it
> is pretty common to refer to dogs, computers, cars, sea monkeys,
lizards
> and whatnot as possesing will and even speech.  (but never cats
{{:) )  It
> is up to the speaker if s/he intends the creature to be understood
as
> sentient.

yeah, thats it...its 'poetry' [_heavy_ inverted commas], it was
deliberate!!!

your device is cabable of language....

(maybe someone should ask Alice Cooper which is more approprite

>    joel anderson * http://members.aol.com/JPKlingon *
[email protected]
>  **mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'**
>      **Depart from evil, and do good; Seek peace, and pursue it**

Back to archive top level