tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 27 14:09:23 1998

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but..

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Ron Van Gurp wrote:

> According to 'the book' (TDK) the use of -lI'(and similar possessive
> suffixes) is restricted to beings 'capable of speech'. Similar as for the

(While I can at times admire the devotion that some have to pursuing the
Klingon language, "the book" is a far loftier designation than I'd grant
the TDK... nor (as is obvious to many, I'm sure) do I dissect it with the
burning zeal that some do... :)

I think the *point* of "capable of speech" is sentience.  Warriors who are
injured and incapable of speech are still a SuvI'pu'.

> -pu'/-mey pluralization suffix. 'Sentient' does not seem to be the
> issue, or am I missing something? This raises an interesting question
> (to me at least :-)): would the computer voice of e.g. Enterprise be
> addressed as /ghoghlI'/ or /ghoghlIj/ in a sentence like: De'wI',
> ghoghlI'/ghoghlIj chu'Ha'lu'pu'?

I think it is a judgement call, and that was my point.  The decision to
use lI'/lIj pu'/mey are yours to make, and while often obvious, your
decision is part of what you communicate.

   joel anderson * http://members.aol.com/JPKlingon * [email protected]
 **mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'**
     **Depart from evil, and do good; Seek peace, and pursue it**

Back to archive top level