tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 27 11:33:09 1998

Re: copulas (was Re: KLBC: ghojtaH nIDegh)

: ja' Qov:
: >There are two ways to express uncertainty with suffixes in Klingon: the verb
: >suffix {-law'} and the noun suffix {-Hey}.  There isn't a huge difference
: >here, because the verb is a copula, just equating the subject and object.
:
: I never think of the "to be" use of Klingon pronouns as a copula.  It seems
: to imply more of "membership" than of "equality".  The examples in TKD 6.3,
: the "Useful Phrases" appendix, and KGT are all of the form "X is a Y" (or
: "X is in Y", but that's not the same usage).  They don't say "X is Y".  I
: do accept phrases using type 4 suffixes like "X is that Y" or "X is your Y",
: but "X is Y" goes against the way I interpret pronouns as "to be".
:
: -- ghunchu'wI'

Think again.  Though there are indeed many "X is a Y" examples in canon:

  tera'ngan ghaH
  He/she is a Terran. CK

  tlhIngan ghaH wa' vub'e'
  One of the hostages is a Klingon. ST3

  tlhIngan toQDujHom 'oH
  It's a Klingon Bird of Prey ornament. (Hallmark)

  ra'wI' ghaH qImlaq'e'
  K'mlak is a commander.  KGT

and "X is in/at Y":

  pa'DajDaq ghaHtaH la''e'
  The commander is in his quarters
  ("As for the commander, he is in his quarters"). TKD

  bIghHa'Daq ghaHtaH qama''e'
  The prisoner is in the prison. KGT

there are definitely several "X is (the) Y" examples as well:

  nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
  Where is the bathroom? TKD

  qerq Duj 'oH
  That's Kirk's ship! ST5

  'entepray' 'oH DoS'e'
  Enterprise targeted!
  ("The target is Enterprise!" ST5

  Qu' buSHa'chugh SuvwI', batlhHa' vangchugh, qoj matlhHa'chugh,
   pagh ghaH SuvwI''e'
  If a warrior ignores duty, acts dishonorably, or is disloyal,
   he is nothing. TKW

  bortaS nIvqu' 'oH bortaS'e'
  Revenge is the best revenge. TKW

  ya ghaH qImlaq Sogh'e'
  Lieutenant K'mlak is the tactical officer.  KGT

  yaS wa'DIch ghaH qImlaq la''e'
  Commander K'mlak is first officer.  KGT

  nuqDaq 'oH jengva''e'
  Where is the plate?  KGT

  nuqDaq 'oH ngop'e'
  Where are the plates? KGT

  veH Qav 'oH logh'e'
  space--the final frontier.  (SkyBox DSN99)

  pa' 'oHtaH vaS'a''e'. tlhIngan qum waw' 'oH.
  This is where the Klingon Great Hall is located, the center of the
   Klingon government.  (SkyBox S27)

And these are only {'oH} and {ghaH}.  Finding examples of other pronouns
used as copulas is left as an exercise for the reader.

Voragh

Back to archive top level