tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 27 06:27:34 1998

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but..

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, m109 wrote:

> > At 03:53 98-04-25 -0700, Natahn Grange wrote:
> > }janlI' belHa'wI'
> > }your cruel device

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't jan *device* a thing and so does not
> merit the possesive suffix -lI' rather -lIj as it is not a being capable
> of language.  pojwI' knows this and so would only show the word janlI'
> not the construction jan + -lI' I suggest you use janlIj as the
> construction jan + -lIj is the only possible answer that pojwI' could
> pull up.

This comes up from time to time - though here it seems obvious that lIj is
better, I'd expect that Klingons lack unanimity on this, as do humans. The
line between sentience and perceived sentience is blurry enough so that it
is pretty common to refer to dogs, computers, cars, sea monkeys, lizards
and whatnot as possesing will and even speech.  (but never cats {{:) )  It
is up to the speaker if s/he intends the creature to be understood as
sentient.

   joel anderson * http://members.aol.com/JPKlingon * [email protected]
 **mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'**
     **Depart from evil, and do good; Seek peace, and pursue it**

Back to archive top level