tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 24 23:40:37 1998

Re: Verb prepositional concepts

In a message dated 98-04-23 18:31:30 EDT, Qov writes:

<< The only differnce between "I run at the house" and "I run towards the
 house" that I can see in English is that the former can imply an attack as
 well as an approach.  {juH vIHIvmeH vIghoS}.

 Truth is, peHruS, we've had this discussion before.  The last time you
 regurgitated an old post to rediscuss, I took the trouble to find the
 original thread and post the URL to refresh your memory.  I leave that to
 you this time. While I don't really mind explaining the same things over and
 over again to new beginners, I draw the line at being asked to respond again
 to the savage beating you are giving this very dead hobby horse. >>

The previous post dealt only with {juHDaq jIqet}'s being able to mean both "I
run to the house" and "I run at the house."  The rest of the discussion
regarding {jeS} and {qIm} are new and are due to a recent posting by SuStel
pointing out that I had used {jeS} transitively and that he feels that is
ungrammatical.

It's the living horse (problem) with which I am concerned.

peHruS

Back to archive top level