tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 24 23:32:51 1998

Re: Verb prepositional concepts

From: WestphalWz <[email protected]>

>charghwI' seems to have missed some past discussion about {tlhob}.  It
never
>meant "ask a question".  It means "request, ask, plead".  From canon
phrases
>we have discovered that it really means "request [that], ask [for someone
>do], ask [that], plead [that]".

No, the "that" is the {'e'} in the sentence {juDev 'ej Dujvam ra'wI' DagheS
'e' vItlhob) "I request that you lead us and that you assume the duties of
commander of this ship" from KGT p. 184.  {'e'} means "that," and it is NOT
built into the verb {tlhob}.

Furthermore, {tlhob} HAS been used in Power Klingon as {lutlhob} "They ask
him."  Because the prefix does not indicate 1st- or 2nd-person, this CANNOT
indicate an indirect object as per Okrand's "shortcut" rule.  Rather, the
object of {tlhob} in this use is quite definitely the person being asked.
{tlhob} has multiple choices as to what its object may be.  However, the
"that" is absolutely NOT built into the verb.

>And, I add that "ask [for]" is covered by
>{poQ}, glossed as "demand, require."  {poQ} seems to work for "order
[food],"
>too.

No it doesn't.  I seem to remember a conversation about something like this,
but the point was entirely context-driven.  You might require something, but
whether you ask for it or not is another matter.  {tlhob} is not "ask for."
If you want to ask for food, you might tell someone you require food, but
that doesn't mean that "require" means "ask for."  You might also say, {Soj
qem Qel 'e' tlhob SID} "The patient asked that the doctor bring food."

>Finally, charghwI' has brought up {tlhob}.  This was not part of peHruS'
>argument.

But he was making a valid counter-argument.  Don't you see?  If you analyze
a single word in isolation you don't have sufficient information.  We
analyze OTHER words, and realize that if additional meaning was meant for a
particular word, it would have been given in the definition.

>Then I started wondering aloud on this listserv about {qIm}, since it
really
>would work better if TKD is "incomplete" and the gloss should have been
"pay
>attention to".

I disagree.  I think {qIm} works just fine as "pay attention," and I don't
need you to single-handedly try to make stuff up and pass it along.

>In my sign-off, someone will notice a deliberate use of a verb pronomial
>prefix.
>
>Qapla'     batlh wIghojtaH     peHruS

"We are learning it honorably," or "We are learning honor."  What's your
point?

SuStel
Stardate 98314.2

Back to archive top level