tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 23 12:11:35 1998

Re: Excess (was KLBC: nobmey)

According to David Trimboli:

> From: William H. Martin <[email protected]>
>
> >According to David Trimboli:
> >>
> >> From: Qov <[email protected]>

> >vay' vIta'chu'ta'DI' vIta'qu'taHqu'.
> >
> >I think one could glean this meaning of excess from this
> >casting, qar'a'?
>
> "As soon as I have fully accomplished something, I
> m --ONGOININGLY--  --DOING-- it."
>
> I don't think you want the {-ta'} in the first word.  Or do you mean that
> once you've finished doing it, you continue to do it?

I liked {-ta'} because it did not simply convey that it is
finished. It conveys that it is SUCCESSFULLY finished; that all
rational cause to continue doing the action is gone. When this
condition is met and I STILL continue to do it, well...

> Other than that, yes, you might see this as excess.  Actually I think it
> might also be interpreted as spelling something out very carefully.  "Now
> I'm going to tell you this --ONE-- --MORE-- --TIME-- . . . !"

Nope. When I clearly have accomplished doing it, I continue to
do it.

> >Or:
> >
> >vay' vIta'chu'ta'DI' jImevQo'.
>
> "As soon as I have fully accomplished something, I won't stop."

I REFUSE to stop.

> I like this one better, but still not enough.  Let's play with it a bit.
>
> First, I'd like to change the basic format of the sentence, to conform a
> little better with the original.
>
> potlhchugh vay' vIta'nISbogh, vIta'taH 'e' vImevQo'.
> If something which I need to accomplish is important, I won't stop
> accomplishing it.
>
> Better, I think, but it still sounds like I might stop once it's
> accomplished.

That was the point I was addressing.

> potlhchugh vay' vIta'nISbogh, vIta'taH, vIta'taH, vIta'taH!
> If something which I need to accomplish is important, I am accomplishing it,
> I am accomplishing it, I am accomplishing it!
>
> The repeitition seems to give a sense of excess, or at least a heck of a
> lot.  What do you think?

It works fairly well, but I could see the repetition as a
matter of zeal more than of continuation. My sense of the
English was that you intended to express, "Just because the job
is done is no reason to stop doing it."

> SuStel
> Stardate 98305.7

charghwI'