tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 23 11:26:43 1998

Re: Greetings [KBTP: Seqram, read this one]

According to Marian Schwartz:

> ghItlh Qov
> >If you use the CD ROM for pronunciation, listen to the Klingonists on the
> >language lab section, not to Gowron.  Gowron does wonderful things to his
> >eyes, but his Klingon pronunciation is ... well .. other than ta' Hol.
>
> It doesn't seem that bad to me... admittedly it sounds frenzied, but the
> pronounciation is pretty good.  Robert O'Reilly (that actor) had MO with
> him every step of the way.
> Qapla'
> qoror

Well, let's put it this way:

After Dragonsys sampled a number of us in order to teach the
software how to recognize good pronunciation, they ran Robert
O'Reilly's pronunciation through it and he was rejected. They
had to go back into the software and tweak things to include
his pronunciations as correct, so people would not listen to
him and perfectly mimmick him and get rejected by the software.

He made an honest try, but face it. He says "Ka-plaaaa", not
{Qap-la'}. No matter how you slice it, that is not good
pronunciation. I respect him for trying as persistently as he
does, but if you want to hear Klingon pronounced, listen to
Okrand, or to Christopher Lloyd. Now THERE'S a Klingon's
Klingon! He spoke the language better than anyone else on the
silver screen, before or since.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level